5 Slow Cooked Recipes
For Immediate ReleaseThu, Aug 24, 2017
There’s no better way to celebrate the end of summer and the beginning of fall than with some finger-licking dishes prepared in your slow cooker. We’ve put together a list of 5 slow-cooked recipes that are simple and sure to make your mouth water.
1. Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
This twist on a classic is the perfect meal to make in your slow cooker.
1. Prepare your favorite white chicken chili recipe and put all ingredients in your slow cooker. The recipe should call for chicken breasts, thighs, or a mix of the two. Place them whole into the slow cooker.
2. Cook on high heat for 4 hours or low heat for 6 hours.
3. Thirty minutes before cooking is complete, add some of the more fragile ingredients, like beans and corn.
4. Remove chicken from slow cooker, shred and return to the chili.
2. Slow-Cooked Mac ‘n Cheese
It sounds strange, but you can easily toss the ingredients for macaroni and cheese into your slow cooker and forget about it. Your dinner will cook itself!
1. In your slow cooker, toss in your favorite macaroni and cheese ingredients. Elbow macaroni, shredded cheddar, whole milk, evaporated milk, salt and dry mustard are magic when combined!
2. Cook on low heat for 2 to 4 hours, until pasta is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
3. Slow-Roasted Salmon
If you want to make a dish that looks fancy but can be prepared with little work, consider making fish in your slow cooker. Sophisticated and simple? Yes, please!
1. Pair salmon, or the fish of your choice, with fennel, dill, oranges and lemons for a fresh flavor. Add some hot peppers for heat and top with olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 275 degrees, until fish flakes apart.
4. Slow Roasted Pork Shoulder
Simple and succulent, this cut of meat was meant to be slow-cooked.
1. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set a wire rack inside. Season a whole bone-in pork shoulder liberally with salt and pepper and roast on the middle rack of your oven at 250 degrees for 8 hours, or until meat is very tender.
2. Remove pork from oven and allow to rest, then return to the oven and cook at 500 degrees, until skin is blistered. Be sure to rotate the pan every 5 minutes for a total of 20 minutes.
5. Slow-Cooked Chocolate Cake
You can even make dessert in your slow cooker!
1. Mix together your favorite chocolate cake recipe and pour into a spring form pan, lined with parchment paper.
2. Bake at 175 degrees for 4 hours, until the cake looks like chocolate pudding.
3. Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate for several hours.
4. Invert pan and remove cake. Serve with fresh whipped cream and berries, if desired.
If you’re not in the mood to wipe the dust of your slow cooker, come join us at Otis & Henry’s® where we have mouth-watering slow cooked specials during the month of August.
Otis & Henry’s August Specials
$9.99* SLOW ROASTED PORK CHOP
EVERY FRIDAY – SUNDAY IN AUGUST
Enjoy our slow roasted pork chop smothered in caramelized onions and mushrooms with buttery mashed potatoes and southern style green beans.
14.99* PRIME RIB SPECIAL
EVERY THURSDAY & SUNDAY
Dig into a juicy prime rib with your choice of side and side salad!